"#jiscwebinar What Is A MOOC? @dkernohan @mweller @jonathan_worth @loumcgill @daveowhite [visual Notes]" by giulia.forsythe is licensed under CC0
Discusssions drive learning but so many zoom rooms zombify and allow kids to hide.
How can we utilize different discussion techniques to keep students involved regardless of technological access?
Getting Started With Discussions
Asking Questions About Texts
Assessing Your Discussion Boards
Complete the readings.
Take t-chart notes, on one side capture the main idea, and on the other side add a reflection from either a pro or negative perspective to remote learning
Post on Your Blog
What can we do to recenter online discussions in the voices of our students?
Free choice, if you like a prompt:
- What makes you angry, why?
- Why is argumentation considered the highest form of discourse
Lead a Discussion
Choose a short reading or video about your portfolio project. Lead a discussion
Create your rubric or checklist for effective discussions Given a sample of student discussion post write feedback to three students using the Claim, Connect, Action approach.
- Describe effective
- Create effective feedback loops
- Facilitate an active discussion
- Craft Text Dependant Questions
- Feedback left for each other
- Blog Posts comparing or critquing assessment strategy
- Reflections on personal growth